Calling this recipe the ultimate skirt steak tostadas are no ideal boast. Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo, National Taco Day, or just a day that ends with Y, this is the recipe for you. Grilled skirt steak always impresses with its bold flavors and versatility. In this blog post, we’ll dive into the world of ultimate skirt steak tostadas, what they are, and how to create a mouthwatering meal that your whole family will love.
Post sponsored by La Tortilla FactoryJump to Video
When grilling the ultimate skirt steak tostadas, it’s essential to remember that it is a tougher piece of meat and benefits from quick high heat and a great-tasting marinade. Some of my favorite ingredients to use as a marinade are salsa verde and the La Tortilla Factory green enchilada sauce. The slightly charred meat pairs perfectly with the crunch of the tostadas and a grilled Baja slaw.
This recipe can easily be keto-friendly using the low-carb La Tortilla Factory tortillas. When I’m not in the mood to fry the tortillas, I make this exact recipe, but grill the tortillas and turn the recipe into tasty street tacos! This recipe is one of my favorites, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Skirt Steak: What is it & Why should I use it?
Skirt steak, known as “arrachera” or “carne asada” in Mexican cuisine, is a specific cut of beef. It’s a thin, long piece of meat, often marbled with just the right amount of fat. This marbling gives skirt steak incredible flavor and tenderness, making it a favorite choice among Chefs and food enthusiasts.
As a Chef and a father, I appreciate skirt steak for its affordability and delicious taste. It’s a fantastic option for family meals because it’s both flavorful and budget-friendly. Its thin-cut cooks quickly, making it a practical choice for busy weeknight dinners.
Skirt Steak vs. Flank Steak: Unraveling the Differences
When it comes to grilling or preparing a delicious Mexican-inspired dish like fajitas, knowing your cuts of meat is essential. Two popular choices often used interchangeably are skirt steak and flank steak. While they share some similarities, they also have distinct differences in terms of flavor, texture, and usage. Let’s dive into the details to help you choose the proper cut for your culinary endeavors.
Skirt steak is a thin cut of beef known for its robust beefy flavor and excellent marbling, contributing to its tenderness and juiciness when cooked correctly. It has a slightly more intense flavor compared to flank steak. Due to its marbling and thickness, skirt steak is often preferred for dishes where a bold beef flavor is desired, such as fajitas, tacos, or carne asada. It’s also an excellent choice for quick grilling or searing. Skirt steak cooks relatively quickly due to its thinness. It’s best-served medium-rare to medium to maintain its tenderness and flavor.
The ultimate tostada toppings
When serving the skirt steak tostadas (with Easy Video), creating a well-rounded and satisfying meal is important. Here’s a list of delicious accompaniments and sides that will complement the flavors of the fajitas and make your meal complete:
- Guacamole: Creamy, flavorful guacamole is a classic Mexican side dish that pairs perfectly with fajitas. Its rich texture and freshness balance the savory steak and fajita vegetables.
- Salsa: Offer a variety of salsas, such as pico de gallo, salsa verde, or spicy chipotle salsa. These add a zesty kick and vibrant flavors to your fajitas.
- Sour Cream: A dollop of sour cream provides a cool and tangy contrast to the spiciness of the fajitas. It’s a popular choice for those who enjoy a milder flavor.
- Shredded Cheese: Whether it’s cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a Mexican cheese blend, shredded cheese sprinkled over the fajitas adds a creamy and cheesy touch.
- Lettuce: Fresh lettuce leaves or shredded lettuce can be used as a bed for your fajita filling. It adds a crisp and refreshing element to the dish.
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro: Fresh cilantro is a staple in Mexican cuisine and can be sprinkled over the fajitas for a burst of herbal freshness.
- Lime Wedges: Serve lime wedges on the side to allow your guests to squeeze fresh lime juice over their fajitas. It adds brightness and acidity.
- Rice: A side of Mexican-style rice, such as cilantro-lime rice or Spanish rice, complements the fajitas and helps balance the flavors.
- Beans: Refried beans or black beans, seasoned with spices like cumin and garlic, are a fantastic addition to your fajita meal.
- Tortilla Chips: Serve a bowl of crispy tortilla chips with additional salsa or guacamole for dipping. They make for a great appetizer or side.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob: Mexican street-style grilled corn, also known as elote, is a wonderful side dish with fajitas. Coat it with mayonnaise, cotija cheese, chili powder, and lime juice for an authentic taste.
- Mexican Street Corn Salad: If you prefer a corn dish that’s easier to eat, consider making a Mexican street corn salad. It combines all the flavors of elote in a convenient salad form.
- Mexican Coleslaw: A zesty coleslaw with a hint of lime and cilantro can add a refreshing crunch to your fajita meal.
- Tortilla Chips with Queso Dip: A warm, cheesy queso dip served with tortilla chips can be a crowd-pleasing appetizer or side dish.
Remember to personalize your fajita spread to suit your family’s tastes. Offering a variety of condiments and sides allows everyone to create their own customized fajitas. I encourage you to get creative with your tostada toppings and capture the vibrant colors and mouthwatering combinations.
The Ultimate Skirt Steak Tostadas: A Delicious Mexican Delight
Serve the skirt steak tostadas to your family, and watch their faces light up with delight as they savor the incredible flavors of this Mexican-inspired dish.
Skirt steak tostadas are a delicious meal and a fantastic way to connect with Mexican heritage through food. Your children will not only love the taste but also appreciate the cultural significance of this dish.
So, there you have it—a flavorful journey into the world of skirt steak and a delightful recipe for skirt steak tostadas.
Now, let’s talk about how to prepare that skirt steak to perfection for your tostadas. Here’s a simple yet scrumptious recipe that will satisfy the taste buds of your entire family. Happy cooking and buen provecho!
Ultimate Skirt Steak Tostadas
- Skirt Steak Marinade
- 2 cups La Tortilla Factory Green Enchilada Sauce
- 2 lbs. skirt steak
- 2 tbsp coco aminos
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- La Tortilla Factory Hatch Green Chile Corn Tortillas
- corn or vegetable oil enough to coat the bottom of the pan
- Grilled Baja Slaw
- 4 cups tri-color slaw
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 package 3 oz La Tortilla Factory Salsa Baja Sauce Starter
- Garnish recommendations:
- queso fresco
- sour cream
- Place all marinade ingredients in a large resealable bag and thoroughly mix. Add skirt steak into the bag and seal. Mix until the steak is coated in the marinade and place in the fridge for 2-12 hours. The longer it marinates, the more flavor it will get.
- Remove the skirt steak from the marinade and pat dry—Grill on a grill preheated to medium-high until it reaches the desired doneness.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Slice against the grain and use it for tostadas.
- Toss tri-color slaw in olive oil. Grill using a grill grid on low-medium heat for 5 minutes or until the slaw mix begins to char slightly, then remove.
- Mix the charred slaw in a bowl with La Tortilla Factory Salsa Baja Sauce Starter. Serve with Skirt Steak Tostada after chilling in the fridge.
- Pour oil into a heavy-duty pan until the oil is about 1 inch deep. Heat oil to 350° degrees.
- Using tongs, carefully place the tortilla in oil. Cook the tortilla to desired crispness, turning the tortilla over every couple minutes.
- Remove the tortilla from the pan and place it on paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- Build tostadas by placing tostada shells down on a plate.
- Fan thinly sliced skirt steak on tostada and top with Grilled Baja Slaw.
- Garnish with avocado, queso fresco, and your choice of toppings.